1 March 2008

Alimentari

251 Brunswick Street
Fitzroy VIC 3065
(03) 9416 2001



PLEASE meet me at Alimentari, please, please, please. Because I cannot find anything more original, consistent and delicious than their Italian lamb meatball wrap. A scrumptious delight made with love and toasted with care, so the cheese melts into the flavoursome lamb. Mmmmmm.

The secret weapon is its spice. I'm told it contains a touch of cinnamon. But what an inspired move to blend lamb meatballs with mozzarella cheese and a touch of rocket in a pita bread. Who would have thought this combination would result in such heaven. I have to admit I must check the exact ingredients with staff and they may not want to reveal the secret.

Alimentari is heaven. Quality. Original. And some research revealed a pretty strong family pedigree with co-owner Linda related to the fabulous people over at Lebanese stalwart Abla's in Carlton. Linda's mum makes the lebanese treats at Alimentari according to one report.

Ok I'm going to have to cut this short because all I want is that meatball wrap.

I have dragged my husband, friends and sisters to Alimentari at all times of the day to get my lips around one - they willingly obliged.

There are other fabulous looking indian, italian, lebanese and greek temptations including spinach and silver beet pies with labne or haloumi cheese pies, pizza with prosciutto, spinach, sun-dried tomato and crispy mushrooms, or fresh cakes, biscuits, nougat and brioche.

Most treats are made in house, and decent take-home-for-dinner options include vegetarian lasagne or a whole organic chicken with ciabatta, prune, apricot and pine nut stuffing.

But all I can ever order is the wrap. even for breakfast. It makes a fabulous hangover treat too.

My favourite orange juice, organic Sunzest which is made by fruit from Mildura and processed in Craigieburn by Greek grower Bill Gennimatas is sold here. Another big tick.

The Wrap - 10/10

Kate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! It's one of my favourite places in Fitzroy and most weekends involve dropping in for a coffee.